Welcome to Catholic Parish of South Yarra, Melbourne
Under the care of the Augustinians, we are committed to expressing our faith in action:
community building, inclusiveness, acceptance and joy in our liturgies and social activities, and
through parish ministries, serving a diverse urban population.
St Joseph’s Church and St Thomas Aquinas Church are the centres of sacramental and liturgical activity in the parish.
The Parish Centre, adjacent to St Joseph’s Church, is the administrative and social hub of the parish where facilities are also available for hire.
As a commitment to its principle of social justice and care for the disadvantaged, the parish supports emergency housing units, a crisis shelter for short-term accommodation and other outreach services in the parish and wider community.
A great strength of the parish is the generosity of spirit and the 'I can do that!' attitude of the many volunteers who contribute to fulfil its mission and vision.
We, the people of the Catholic Parish of South Yarra, under the care of the Augustinians, commit ourselves to the following vision and strive to make it real in our daily lives.
- To be a vibrant and welcoming Church community of mutual care and support sustained by the Gospel.
- As an expression of our social concern, we walk with people who are marginalised and alienated - our faith in action.
- We are responsive to, and engaged with the needs and issues of our times.
The Augustinians are a religious Order in the Catholic Church whose special call it is to live together in communities of love, humility, friendship and sharing - a focus they share with the ministries they serve.
Inspired by the teaching and spirituality of St. Augustine of Hippo they came to Australia from Ireland in 1838, and have served here in every form of Pastoral Ministry since then.
Currently they have the care of five Parishes along the East Coast of Australia, as well as two Secondary Colleges and a Spirituality Centre. They came to the Parish of South Yarra in 1976 where they have become the inspiration of its Social Outreach to the poor, the homeless and the disadvantaged.
An Augustinian parish values...
- offering a personal and unconditional welcome to all and the opportunity for friendship and social interaction in different contexts
- the personal attributes of its members and the diversity of gifts they bring: their expertise and talents; their commitment and sense of shared responsibility and loyalty
- commitment to social justice within and beyond our immediate community
- the opportunities and encouragement provided for leadership and service in different ministries in the parish and broader community
- the leadership and service of the ordained ministers, religious and Parish Associates, support staff and volunteers
- the history and traditions of our faith drawn together under the Augustinian charism
- the ecumenical diversity of different faith traditions in the wider community
- meeting the challenges of the times, being open to change, and responding constructively
- the responsible stewardship of its resources
The Parish of South Yarra acknowledges the Wurundjeri people who are the Traditional Custodians of the Land. We also pay our respects to the Elders both past and present of the Kulin Nation and extend that respect to other Indigenous Australians who are present in our community.